CKNB NEWS UPDATE TUESDAY MAY 12 2020
CAM/MIR – CCNB OPENINGS
CCNB campuses in Campbellton, Bathurst, Dieppe, and along the the Acadian
Peninsula are partially reopening for practical training.
According to the Tribune about 300 students returned last week along with
over 280 staff which is about a third of the workforce.
Officials with the school say the reopening was done under strict health and
safety regulations and will allow trade students who can’t complete work
placements to complete a project instead.
16-hundred other students continue to work via distance learning from home.
CAM – FATAL ADJOURNMENT
The sentencing of a man who fled the scene of a fatal collision in almost two
years ago has been delayed until the summer due to the pandemic.
According to the Tribune 30-year-old Kirk Labillois pled guilty in the death
of 37-year-old Jose Ricardo Fortun in a collision that occured on Route 11 in
August of 2018.
LaBillois was charged with leaving the scene of an accident involving bodily
harm and leaving the scene of an accident involving death. Sentencing will
now take place on July 13th.
CAM – PAULIN REOPENING
In her latest update Campbellton Mayor Stephanie Anglehart-Paulin says the
city is working to get back up and running.
Anglehart-Paulin says putting protocals in place and getting staff back
safely is a challenge.
The mayor says city staff will start being noticed more as business resumes
and work begins.
NB – COVID & PALLATIVE
With no new COVID-19 cases reported in the last five days and only two active
cases in New Brunswick the province is now allowing some visitors for
pallative care patients.
Chief medical officer of health Dr. Jennifer Russell announced the new rules
yesterday for end of life patients.
Russell says the new rules will help protect both the public and staff while
allowing some comfort for the patient.
Across Canada we have close to 70-thousand cases and 5-thousand virus related
NB – NO VOTE DAY
Mayor and councillors around the province began an unplanned for fifth year
of service yesterday.
Originally the four year term of municpal councils around the province was
supposed to come to an end yesterday with province wide elections scheduled
for May 11th.
Municipal politicans are now trying to figure out what to do with the added
time in the face of a pandemic that has turned their budgets upside down and
makes future planning frought with uncertainty and unknowns.
In cancelling today’s elections back in March, Elections New Brunwick
suggested they would instead take place sometime before May of 2021.
NB – DENTISTS
Dentists in New Brunswick are gearing up to start seeing patients again after
all but emergencies were stopped eight weeks ago due to COVID-19.
Paul Blanchard, executive director of the New Brunswick Dental Society tells
CBC dentists will initially prioritize patients with urgent dental care
Some things will look different as people will be pre-screened for symptoms,
have their temperature taken upon arrival, masks will be worn, and
appointments will be staggered to keep waiting rooms empty.
Blanchard says as offices gradually open up dental hygenists won’t be
performing preventative care and cleanings until June 1st.
NB – VITALITE SERVICES
With the orange phase of reopening underway Vitalite Health has started
offering more services as of today.
A release says things such as elective surgeries, some ambulatory clinics and
x-ray services will gradually resume by appointment only.
Patients who appointments were previously cancelled due to COVID-19 will be
contacted, but the network says they will start with the most critical and
urgent services for people who are very ill, such as cancer patients.
When arriving for an appointment you will be screened for symptoms and asked
to wear gloves and wash your hands.